A toxic algae bloom in the Wells Reservoir has prompted officials to post warnings about swimming, water skiing and other in-water activities in areas impacted by the algae bloom. Douglas County PUD spokeswoman Meaghan Vibbert says under certain conditions the bacteria can produce several different toxic compounds, including a nerve toxin that has proven lethal to some animals if ingested at high concentrations.
Vibbert says properly cleaned and gutted fish from the reservoir are safe to eat. She adds the water should not be consumed, and steps should be taken to keep livestock and pets away from the water. Samples from the reservoir will be tested weekly until toxin levels drop below the state's accepted levels, which is expected when air and water temperatures cool.